It is possible for a person to take too much allopurinol (Zyloprim). Although the specific effects are not exactly known, an allopurinol overdose is likely to cause the usual side effects that are possible with this medication. The effects of an overdose will depend on several factors, such as how much was taken. If you have overdosed on allopurinol, treatment may include administering certain medicines, pumping the stomach, or providing supportive care. In some cases, dialysis may also be necessary.
An Introduction to an Allopurinol OverdoseAllopurinol (Zyloprim®) is a prescription medication most commonly used to treat gout (although it is approved for a few other uses as well). As with most medications, it is possible to take too much allopurinol. The specific effects of an allopurinol overdose will vary, depending on a number of factors, including the allopurinol dosage and whether it was taken with any other medications or substances.
Effects of an OverdoseIt is not known what exactly to expect from an overdose of allopurinol. In one reported case, no serious problems were reported. Certainly, any of the usual allopurinol side effects may occur with an overdose.
Treatment for an Allopurinol OverdoseThe treatment for an allopurinol overdose will vary. If the overdose was recent, a healthcare provider may administer certain medicines or place a tube into the stomach to "pump the stomach." Treatment will also involve supportive care, which consists of treating the symptoms that occur as a result of the overdose. Dialysis may be useful for removing allopurinol from the blood if necessary.
It is important that you seek medical attention immediately if you believe that you may have overdosed on allopurinol.