Treating RA With Arthrotec and General Instructions
Arthrotec Dosage for Rheumatoid ArthritisThe standard dosage of Arthrotec for the treatment of rheumatoid arthritis is Arthrotec 50/200 three or four times a day. If you experience bothersome side effects, your healthcare provider may recommend you take Arthrotec 50/200 or Arthrotec 75/200 twice a day. While twice-a-day dosing may be generally well tolerated, it is less effective at preventing ulcers.
Your healthcare provider may recommend that you take more of one of the individual components -- misoprostol (Cytotec) or diclofenac sodium (Voltaren, Voltaren-XR) -- in addition to Arthrotec. If so, it is generally recommended that your total diclofenac dose not exceed 225 mg a day when used to treat the symptoms of rheumatoid arthritis. Misoprostol doses should generally not exceed 200 mg per dose or 800 mg per day.
General Information on Taking ArthrotecSome considerations to keep in mind during treatment with Arthrotec include the following:
- This medication comes in tablet form. It is usually taken by mouth three to four times a day, although some people may take it twice a day.
- Arthrotec should be taken with a meal.
- Try to take this medication at the same time each day to keep an even level in your blood.
- Do not crush, cut, or chew Arthrotec. The tablets should be swallowed whole.
- It is important to take the lowest effective dose of this medicine for the shortest amount of time to help reduce the risk for serious side effects.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed.
- If you are unsure about anything related to your dosage or Arthrotec dosing in general, please talk with your healthcare provider or pharmacist.