Celebrex Drug Information
Celebrex® (celecoxib) treats several conditions, such as arthritis, tendonitis, and painful menstrual periods. The prescription drug works by blocking the COX-2 enzyme, which plays a role in pain and inflammation in the body.
This medicine comes in the form of capsules and is available in four strengths. To decrease the risk of serious side effects, it's important to take the lowest effective dose of Celebrex for the least amount of time in order to treat your condition. In clinical studies, the most common side effects included diarrhea, indigestion, and stomach pain.
Before taking Celebrex, it's important to go over the drug's safety information. To help ensure a safe treatment process, tell your healthcare provider if you have:
- Heart disease, including congestive heart failure
- High blood pressure (hypertension)
- Kidney disease or kidney failure
- Bleeding problems (or are taking blood-thinning medication)
- Any allergies to medicines, including sulfa drugs, aspirin, or other nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs).
(For more information on this drug, click Celebrex. This article offers a complete overview of this product, with information on dosing, side effects, and more.)