Serious and Rare Reactions to Celebrex
Serious Side EffectsSome Celebrex side effects occur less frequently, but are more serious. These problems include but are not limited to:
- Cardiovascular problems, including heart attack or stroke
- Stomach or intestinal problems, including bleeding, ulcers, or a hole (known as a perforation)
- Liver damage
- Kidney problems, including kidney failure
- Fluid retention
- Swelling of the arms or legs
- Rapid weight gain
- Congestive heart failure
- Allergic reactions (such as a rash, itching, hives, difficulty breathing, or swelling of the mouth or throat).
These possible side effects are a risk with all nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) and can lead to life-threatening complications or even loss of life.
(Click Celebrex Precautions and Warnings for more information.)
Rare Celebrex Side EffectsDuring clinical studies, some side effects occurred in less than 2 percent of people taking Celebrex. Because these side effects are so uncommon, it is difficult to tell whether they were caused by the medication or something else. These possible side effects of Celebrex include but are not limited to:
- Herpes infection
- Middle ear infection (otitis media)
- Weight gain (see Celebrex and Weight Gain)
- Muscle pain (myalgia)
- Hair loss.