Dose of Colchicine for Familial Mediterranean Fever (FMF)The recommended colchicine dosage for treating FMF depends on age, as follows:
- Age 4 to 6 years old -- 0.3 mg to 1.8 mg daily (1/2 to 3 tablets daily)
- Age 6 to 12 years old -- 0.9 mg to 1.8 mg daily (1.5 to 3 tablets daily)
- Age 12 and older -- 1.2 mg to 2.4 mg daily (2 to 4 tablets daily).
People with liver disease, kidney disease, or who are taking certain other medications may need a lower-than-normal dosage of colchicine.
General Information on Taking ColchicineSome considerations for people taking colchicine include the following:
- The medication comes in tablet form. It is typically taken once or twice a day, although it may be taken more frequently during a gout attack.
- You may take this medication with or without food.
- For the drug to work properly, you have to take it as prescribed.
- If you are unsure about anything related to your dosage or colchicine dosing in general, please talk with your healthcare provider, nurse, or pharmacist.