Side Effects of ColchicineAs with any medicine, colchicine may cause side effects. However, not everyone who takes the drug will experience side effects. In fact, many people tolerate it quite well.
If side effects do occur, in most cases, they are minor and either require no treatment or are easily treated by you or your healthcare provider. Serious side effects are less common, but do sometimes occur.
The most common side effects of this drug include but are not limited to:
(Click Colchicine Side Effects to learn more.)
Important Information for Your Healthcare ProviderYou should talk to your healthcare provider prior to taking this drug if you have:
- Liver disease, such as cirrhosis, hepatitis, or liver failure
- Kidney disease, such as kidney failure (renal failure).
- Any allergies, including to foods, dyes, or preservatives.
Also, let your healthcare provider know if you are:
- Pregnant or thinking of becoming pregnant (see Colchicine and Pregnancy)
- Breastfeeding (see Colchicine and Breastfeeding).
Tell your healthcare provider about all of the medicines you are taking, including prescription and nonprescription drugs, vitamins, and herbal supplements.
(Click Precautions and Warnings With Colchicine to learn more, including information on who should not take the drug.)