For many people with osteoarthritis or rheumatoid arthritis, dosage recommendations for Daypro start at 1200 mg a day. The suggested starting dose for the treatment of juvenile rheumatoid arthritis is determined by the child's weight; it generally ranges from 600 mg to 1200 mg a day. Taking the lowest effective dose for the least amount of time will help minimize the risk of serious side effects.
The dose of Daypro® (oxaprozin) that your healthcare provider prescribes will vary, depending on a number of factors, including:
- Your age and weight
- The medical condition you are being treated for
- Other medical conditions you may have
- Other medications you may be currently taking.
As is always the case, do not adjust your Daypro dosage unless your healthcare provider specifically tells you to do so.
For the relief of juvenile rheumatoid arthritis, the recommended starting dose of Daypro is based on the child's weight. It typically ranges from 600 mg to 1200 mg per day.
When treating symptoms of osteoarthritis or rheumatoid arthritis, the usual recommended starting Daypro dosage is 1200 mg once a day. It may take several weeks before the full effects are felt.
Considerations for people taking Daypro include the following:
- Your dosage should be taken with a glass of water. Taking it with milk or food may prevent stomach upset.
- It is important to take the lowest effective dosage for the least amount of time in order to treat your condition. This will decrease the chances of developing serious side effects.
- Daypro should be taken at the same time each day to maintain an even level of medicine in your blood.
- For Daypro to work properly, you have to take it as prescribed. It will not work if you take it in a different way than your healthcare provider recommends.
- If you do not take your Daypro as scheduled, take your next dosage as soon as you remember. If it is close to the next scheduled dose, skip the missed one and continue with normal dosing. Do not take a double dose or combine Daypro with other NSAIDs (nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs). However, it is okay to take it with acetaminophen (Tylenol®).
- If you are unsure about anything related to Daypro or your Daypro dosage, talk to your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist. Do not stop taking Daypro without first discussing it with your healthcare provider.