Dolobid is a nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug used to relieve symptoms of osteoarthritis or rheumatoid arthritis, such as pain, inflammation, and stiffness. The drug comes in tablet form and is typically taken twice a day. It works by inhibiting the action of certain hormones (called prostaglandins) that cause inflammation and pain in the body. Common side effects include nausea, stomach pain, and heartburn.
What Is Dolobid?Dolobid® (diflunisal) is a prescription medicine used for mild to moderate pain relief, as well as inflammation or stiffness caused by osteoarthritis or rheumatoid arthritis. It belongs to a class of drugs called nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, or NSAIDs for short.
(Click Dolobid Uses for more information on these uses, including possible off-label uses for the drug.)
Who Makes It?
Brand-name Dolobid was manufactured by Merck & Co., but is no longer being made. Generic versions are still available.
How Does Dolobid Work?Dolobid and other NSAIDs are thought to work by inhibiting the action of certain hormones that cause inflammation and pain in the body. These hormones are called prostaglandins.
Effects of the MedicationBy blocking prostaglandins, Dolobid is useful at reducing pain related to bone, muscle, or tendon injury or inflammation, as well as alleviating pain and joint swelling associated with different types of arthritis. Dolobid is not a cure for arthritis, however, nor does it affect the progression of the disease.
When and How Do I Take Dolobid?General considerations for when and how to take Dolobid include the following:
- Dolobid comes in a tablet form. It is generally taken two times a day (based on your healthcare provider's recommendation).
- To avoid an upset stomach, take your Dolobid with food or milk.
- Do not break, chew, or crush the Dolobid tablets.
- For the medication to work properly, you have to take it as prescribed. It will not work if you stop taking it.
- It is important to take the lowest effective dose for the least amount of time in order to treat your condition. This will decrease the chances of serious side effects occurring.