Enbrel Side Effects
Possible side effects of Enbrel include reactions at the injection site, headaches, and dizziness. Most people, however, have no problems. If they occur, side effects are usually minor and easily treated. However, if you experience more serious side effects, such as a numb or tingling feeling, changes in vision, or chest pain, you should report them to your healthcare provider right away.
Enbrel Side Effects: An IntroductionAs with any medicine, side effects can occur with Enbrel® (etanercept). However, not everyone who takes this medicine will have problems. In fact, most people tolerate it well. If people do develop side effects, in many cases, they are minor, meaning they require no treatment or are easily treated by you or your healthcare provider.
(This article covers many, but not all, of the possible side effects with Enbrel. Your healthcare provider can discuss a more complete list of Enbrel side effects with you.)
Common Side Effects of EnbrelEnbrel has been studied thoroughly in clinical trials, with many people having been evaluated. In these studies, the side effects occurring in a group of people taking the drug were documented and compared to the side effects that occurred in a similar group of people not taking the medicine. As a result, it is possible to see what side effects occur, how often they appear, and how they compare to the group not taking the medicine.
Based on these studies, the most common side effects of Enbrel include:
- Injection site reactions (redness, rash, swelling, itching, or bruising) -- in up to 37 percent of people
- Infections such as the common cold or a sinus infection -- up to 35 percent
- Headaches -- up to 17 percent
- Irritated or runny nose -- up to 12 percent
- Dizziness -- up to 7 percent
- Sore throat -- up to 7 percent
- Cough -- up to 6 percent
- General weakness -- up to 5 percent
- Abdominal pain (stomach pain) -- up to 5 percent
- Breathing problems -- up to 5 percent
- Heartburn -- up to 4 percent
- Vomiting -- up to 3 percent
- Mouth ulcers (canker sores) -- up to 2 percent.