Imuran Overdose: An Introduction
) is a medication that is used to prevent rejection after a kidney transplant and to treat rheumatoid arthritis
. As with any medication, it is possible for a person to take too much Imuran. The effects of an overdose on Imuran will vary, depending on a number of factors, such as how much Imuran was taken and whether it was taken with any other medicines.
Symptoms of an Overdose
Symptoms of an Imuran overdose may include:
- Bone marrow depression (a decreased ability of the bone marrow to make blood cells)
- Nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea
- Loss of life.
Treatment for an Overdose of Imuran
The treatment for an overdose will also vary. If the overdose was recent, the healthcare provider may place a tube into the stomach to "pump the stomach" or administer certain medicines. Once the drug has been absorbed into the body, dialysis may be useful for removing Imuran from the blood. Treatment may also include supportive care, which is treating the symptoms that occur as a result of the overdose. For example, supportive treatment options for an Imuran overdose can include:
- Fluids through an intravenous line (IV)
- Other treatments based on the complications that occur.
It is important that you seek medical attention immediately if you believe that you may have overdosed on Imuran.