Arthritis Home > Allopurinol
What Should I Tell My Healthcare Provider Before Taking Allopurinol?You should talk with your healthcare provider prior to taking this medication if you have:
- Liver disease, such as liver failure, cirrhosis, or hepatitis
- Kidney disease, such as kidney failure (renal failure)
- Any allergies, including allergies to foods, dyes, or preservatives.
- Pregnant or thinking of becoming pregnant (see Allopurinol and Pregnancy)
- Breastfeeding (see Allopurinol and Breastfeeding).
Dosing InformationThe dose of allopurinol that your healthcare provider recommends will vary, depending on a number of factors, including:
- The medical condition being treated
- The severity of your condition
- How you respond to the medication
- Other medications you are taking
- Other medical conditions you may have.