Arthritis Home > Arthrotec Overdose

If someone has taken too much Arthrotec (diclofenac/misoprostol), it may cause vomiting, kidney failure, and even death. The specific effects would vary, depending on how much was taken and whether it was combined with other medications. If an Arthrotec overdose occurs, a healthcare provider may administer activated charcoal, "pump" the stomach, or provide supportive care to treat any symptoms that occur.

Can You Take Too Much Arthrotec?

Arthrotec® (diclofenac/misoprostol) is a combination prescription medication used to treat certain types of arthritis in people who have a high risk for ulcers from nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID) use. As with most medicines, it is possible to take too much Arthrotec.
The specific effects of an overdose can vary, depending on a number of factors, including the Arthrotec dosage and whether it was taken with any other medications or substances.

Effects of an Overdose

Based on reports of overdoses with the individual components of Arthrotec, possible effects of an overdose with this medication may include:
  • Diarrhea
  • Vomiting
  • Drowsiness
  • Heartburn or indigestion
  • Abdominal (stomach) pain
  • Fever
  • Tremor
  • Shortness of breath or difficulty breathing
  • A rapid or forcefully beating heart
  • A reduced heart rate
  • Low blood pressure (hypotension), which could cause dizziness
  • Kidney failure
  • Confusion
  • Seizures
  • Loss of consciousness
  • Death.

Treating an Arthrotec Overdose

The treatment for this type of overdose will vary. If the overdose was recent, a healthcare provider may administer activated charcoal or "pump the stomach" to help reduce the amount of the medication absorbed into the bloodstream.
Treatment for any type of overdose typically involves supportive care, which consists of treating the symptoms that occur as a result of the overdose. For example, supportive treatment options for an Arthrotec overdose may include:
  • Medications to treat diarrhea or vomiting, if it occurs
  • Fluids through an intravenous line (IV), if necessary.
It is important that you seek medical attention immediately if you believe that you or someone else may have taken too much of this medication.
Written by/reviewed by:
Last reviewed by: Kristi Monson, PharmD;
Last updated/reviewed:
List of references (click here):
Other Articles in This eMedTV Presentation




Related Channels

eMedTV Links
Copyright © 2006-2019 Clinaero, Inc.

eMedTV serves only as an informational resource. This site does not dispense medical advice or advice of any kind. Site users seeking medical advice about their specific situation should consult with their own physician. Click Terms of Use for more information.

This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information:
verify here.