Arthritis Home > Arthrotec Overdose
If someone has taken too much Arthrotec (diclofenac/misoprostol), it may cause vomiting, kidney failure, and even death. The specific effects would vary, depending on how much was taken and whether it was combined with other medications. If an Arthrotec overdose occurs, a healthcare provider may administer activated charcoal, "pump" the stomach, or provide supportive care to treat any symptoms that occur.
Can You Take Too Much Arthrotec?Arthrotec® (diclofenac/misoprostol) is a combination prescription medication used to treat certain types of arthritis in people who have a high risk for ulcers from nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID) use. As with most medicines, it is possible to take too much Arthrotec.
The specific effects of an overdose can vary, depending on a number of factors, including the Arthrotec dosage and whether it was taken with any other medications or substances.
Effects of an OverdoseBased on reports of overdoses with the individual components of Arthrotec, possible effects of an overdose with this medication may include:
- Heartburn or indigestion
- Abdominal (stomach) pain
- Shortness of breath or difficulty breathing
- A rapid or forcefully beating heart
- A reduced heart rate
- Low blood pressure (hypotension), which could cause dizziness
- Kidney failure
- Loss of consciousness
Treating an Arthrotec OverdoseThe treatment for this type of overdose will vary. If the overdose was recent, a healthcare provider may administer activated charcoal or "pump the stomach" to help reduce the amount of the medication absorbed into the bloodstream.
Treatment for any type of overdose typically involves supportive care, which consists of treating the symptoms that occur as a result of the overdose. For example, supportive treatment options for an Arthrotec overdose may include:
- Medications to treat diarrhea or vomiting, if it occurs
- Fluids through an intravenous line (IV), if necessary.
It is important that you seek medical attention immediately if you believe that you or someone else may have taken too much of this medication.