Arthritis Home > Dosing With Diclofenac Sodium Extended-Release
There are several factors that will affect your diclofenac sodium extended-release dosage. Some of these factors include the medical condition you are being treated for and any other medical conditions you may have. When treating symptoms of osteoarthritis or rheumatoid arthritis, the recommended dose is typically 100 mg a day. Follow your healthcare provider's instructions on taking your dosage. This minimizes the risk of side effects and ensures the drug's effectiveness.
Dosing With Diclofenac Sodium Extended-Release: An IntroductionThe recommended dose of diclofenac sodium extended-release (Voltaren®-XR) for the relief of osteoarthritis or rheumatoid arthritis symptoms is 100 mg, once a day. However, the dose that your healthcare provider recommends, as well as how often it is taken, may vary, depending on a number of factors, including:
- The medical condition you are being treated for
- Other medical conditions you may have
- Other medications you are currently taking.
General Dosing InformationConsiderations for people taking diclofenac sodium extended-release include the following:
- It is usually recommended to take NSAIDs (like this medication) with food to help prevent stomach upset. However, food may cause this medication to work more slowly.
- Do not break, chew, or crush the diclofenac sodium extended-release tablets.
- The medication should be taken at the same times each day to maintain an even level of the medication in your blood.
- It is important to take the lowest effective dose for the least amount of time in order to treat your condition. This will decrease the chances of serious side effects occurring.
- For diclofenac sodium extended-release to work properly, you have to take it as prescribed. The medication will not work if you take it in a way other than how your healthcare provider recommends. It may take several weeks for the full effects of diclofenac sodium extended-release to be felt.
- If you do not take your diclofenac sodium extended-release as scheduled, take your next dose as soon as you remember. If it is close to the next scheduled dose, skip the missed one and continue with normal dosing. Do not double the dose or combine this medication with other NSAIDs (nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs).
- If you are unsure about anything related to diclofenac sodium extended-release, including your dosage, talk to your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist.