Arthritis Home > Mobic Side Effects
Several side effects may occur with the use of Mobic. Common ones include urinary tract infections, joint pain, and heartburn or indigestion. Rare side effects include dry mouth, anxiety, and depression. If you experience slurred speech, allergic reactions, or other serious side effects of Mobic while taking the drug, call 911 as soon as possible.
As with any medicine, side effects are possible with Mobic® (meloxicam). However, not everyone who takes this pain-relief drug will have problems. In fact, most people tolerate it well. If people do develop side effects, in many cases, they are minor and either require no treatment or can easily be treated by you or your healthcare provider. In clinical trials, up to 10 percent of people stopped taking Mobic because of side effects.
(This article covers many, but not all, of the possible side effects of Mobic. Your healthcare provider can discuss a more complete list of Mobic side effects with you.)
Mobic has been studied extensively in clinical trials, with thousands of people worldwide having been evaluated. In these studies, side effects are always documented and compared to those that occur in a similar group of people not taking the medicine. This way, it is possible to see what side effects occur, how often they appear, and how they compare to the group not taking the medicine.
Based on these studies, the most common Mobic side effects include:
- Heartburn or indigestion (dyspepsia) -- in up to 9.5 percent of people
- Upper respiratory infections, including the common cold and flu -- up to 8.3 percent
- Diarrhea -- up to 7.8 percent
- Nausea -- up to 7.2 percent
- Urinary tract infections (UTI) -- up to 6.9 percent
- Joint pain -- up to 5.3 percent
Abdominal pain (stomach pain) -- up to 4.7 percent
- Swelling -- up to 4.5 percent
- Anemia -- up to 4.1 percent
- Headache -- up to 3.6 percent
- Insomnia -- up to 3.6 percent
- Gas -- up to 3.0 percent.
Other side effects, occurring in more than 1 percent of people and thought to be related to Mobic, include but are not limited to: