Arthritis Home > Dosing With Piroxicam
People with osteoarthritis or rheumatoid arthritis are recommended to take a starting piroxicam dosage of 20 mg once daily or 10 mg twice daily. Factors that can affect your dosage include the medical condition being treated and other medications you may be taking. Piroxicam should be taken with a full glass of water. Taking it with food or milk may help prevent an upset stomach.
Dosing With Piroxicam: An IntroductionThe dose of piroxicam (Feldene®) your healthcare provider prescribes will vary, depending on a number of factors, including:
- The medical condition being treated
- Other medical conditions you may have
- Other medications you may be taking.
As always, do not adjust your dose unless your healthcare provider specifically instructs you to do so.
Osteoarthritis and Rheumatoid Arthritis DosagesFor osteoarthritis or rheumatoid arthritis symptoms, the recommended starting piroxicam dosage is piroxicam 20 mg once a day or 10 mg twice a day. It may take piroxicam several weeks to begin working to its full potential when used to treat these conditions.
General Information on Your Piroxicam DoseSome considerations for people taking piroxicam include the following:
- Piroxicam should be taken with a glass of water. Taking your dose with milk or food may prevent an upset stomach.
- It is important to take the lowest effective dose for the least amount of time in order to treat your condition. This will decrease the chances of serious side effects occurring.
- Piroxicam should be taken at the same time each day to maintain an even level in your blood.
- For the medication to work properly, you have to take it as prescribed. Piroxicam will not work if you take it in a way other than how your healthcare provider prescribes.
- If you do not take your piroxicam as scheduled, take your missed dose as soon as you remember. If it is close to the next scheduled dose, skip the missed one and continue with normal dosing. Do not take a double dose or take piroxicam with other NSAIDs. It is okay to take it with acetaminophen (Tylenol®).
- If you are unsure about anything related to piroxicam or your piroxicam dosage, please talk to your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist. Do not stop taking the drug without first discussing it with your healthcare provider.