Arthritis Home > Ponstel Dosage
When taking Ponstel, most people start with a dose of 500 mg, followed by 250 mg every six hours as needed for acute pain relief. Treatment for acute pain relief should not last more than a week, and treatment for painful menstrual periods should not last for more than two to three days. It is important to take the lowest effective dose of Ponstel for the least amount of time in order to decrease the risk of developing side effects.
The dose of Ponstel® (mefenamic acid) your healthcare provider recommends will vary, depending on a number of factors, including:
- The medical condition being treated
- Other medical conditions you may have
- Other medications you may be currently taking.
As is always the case, do not adjust your Ponstel dose unless your healthcare provider specifically instructs you to do so.
Dosing With Ponstel for Acute Pain, Including Painful Menstrual PeriodsFor acute pain relief or the relief of menstrual pain, the usual dose for people 14 years of age and older is Ponstel 500 mg initially, then 250 mg every six hours as needed. Generally, treatment for acute pain should last no more than seven days. Treatment for painful menstrual periods should last for no more than two to three days.
Some considerations for people taking Ponstel include the following:
- Your dose of Ponstel should be taken by mouth with food and a full glass of water.
- It is important to take the lowest effective dosage for the least amount of time in order to treat your condition. This will decrease the chances of developing serious side effects.
- For Ponstel to work properly, you have to take it as prescribed. The medication will not work if you take it in a different way than how your healthcare provider prescribes.
- If you do not take your Ponstel as scheduled, take your missed dose as soon as you remember. If it is close to your next scheduled dose, skip the missed one and continue with normal dosing. Do not take a double dose or take Ponstel with other nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs). It is okay to take it with acetaminophen (Tylenol®).
- If you are unsure about anything related to dose or Ponstel dosing in general, please talk to your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist. Do not stop taking the drug without first discussing it with your healthcare provider.