Arthritis Home > Ponstel Precautions and Warnings
It is important to familiarize yourself with warnings and precautions with Ponstel before starting the medication to help minimize side effects or complications. For example, potential side effects may include increased liver enzymes, anemia, liver damage, and high blood pressure. Also, certain people should not take Ponstel, including those who have ulcerative colitis or are allergic to any component of the drug.
You should talk with your healthcare provider prior to taking Ponstel® (mefenamic acid) if you have:
- Heart disease, including congestive heart failure
- High blood pressure (hypertension)
- Liver disease or liver failure
- Kidney disease or kidney failure
- Bleeding problems or are taking medicines that decrease your blood's ability to clot
- Nasal polyps
- Systemic lupus erythematosus (lupus or SLE)
- Stomach ulcers, stomach bleeding, or a history of either condition
- Any allergies to medicines, including aspirin or other nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory (NSAID) pain medicines.
Let your healthcare provider know if you:
- Are pregnant or thinking about becoming pregnant
- Are breastfeeding
- Drink alcohol frequently
- Are having or have recently had heart surgery.
Also, tell your healthcare provider about all other medicines you may be taking, including prescription and non-prescription medicines, antacids, vitamins, and herbal supplements.