Arthritis Home > Vimovo Dosage
Your Vimovo dosage will depend on how you respond to the medication, or how you have previously handled similar medications. This product comes in the form of extended-release tablets and is typically taken twice daily, about 30 minutes before meals. Because of the extended-release properties of this medication, do not crush, chew, break, or dissolve the tablets.
An Introduction to Dosing With VimovoThe dose of Vimovo™ (naproxen/esomeprazole magnesium) your healthcare provider recommends may vary, depending on how you respond to the medication, or how you have responded to similar medications in the past. As is always the case, do not adjust your dose unless your healthcare provider specifically tells you to do so.
Vimovo Dosing BasicsThe standard recommended dosage for treating osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis, or ankylosing spondylitis is one Vimovo tablet (of either strength) twice daily. Vimovo comes in the following two strengths:
- Vimovo 375/20 mg -- 375 mg of naproxen and 20 mg of esomeprazole
- Vimovo 500/20 mg -- 500 mg of naproxen and 20 mg of esomeprazole.
Therefore, the standard dosages of one tablet of either strength twice daily provides 20 mg of esomeprazole twice daily and either 375 mg or 500 mg of naproxen twice daily. Because the tablets cannot be cut, there is no way to achieve a different dose of esomeprazole (with either strength). If a person needs a different strength of esomeprazole, this product cannot be used.
General Information on Taking VimovoSome considerations for people to keep in mind while taking Vimovo include the following:
- Vimovo comes in extended-release tablets and is usually taken by mouth twice daily.
- Take this medication at least 30 minutes before meals.
- Do not crush, chew, break, or dissolve the tablets, as this destroys the extended-release properties.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed.
- If you are unsure about anything related to your dosage, please talk with your healthcare provider or pharmacist.