Arthritis Home > Vimovo Overdose
If you take too much Vimovo (naproxen/esomeprazole magnesium), the effects could include vomiting, kidney failure, or bleeding of the digestive tract. Treatment options may include administering activated charcoal or "pumping the stomach" to help reduce the amount of the medication that is absorbed into the bloodstream. Supportive care will also be used to treat any symptoms that occur.
Can You Take Too Much Vimovo?Vimovo™ (naproxen/esomeprazole magnesium) is a prescription medication approved to treat osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis, and ankylosing spondylitis. It contains a nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID). As with most medications, it is possible to take too much Vimovo.
The specific effects of a Vimovo overdose could potentially be dangerous but would vary depending on a number of factors, including the Vimovo dosage and whether it was taken with any other medications or substances.
Effects of an OverdoseBased on information from oral overdoses of other nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs), the following Vimovo overdose symptoms might occur:
- Ulcers or bleeding of the digestive tract
- Nausea and vomiting
- Throat or upper chest pain
- High blood pressure
- Kidney failure
- Slow or irregular breathing
- Blurred vision
- Rapid heart rate.
Because of the risk of accidental overdose, make sure to keep Vimovo (and all other medications) out of the reach of children and pets.
Treatment OptionsThe treatment for a Vimovo overdose will vary. If the overdose was recent, a healthcare provider may administer certain medicines to induce vomiting or place a tube into the stomach to "pump" the stomach. Activated charcoal may be given to limit absorption of the medication.
Treatment will also involve supportive care, which consists of treating any of the overdose symptoms that occur (such as high blood pressure).
It is important that you seek medical attention immediately if you believe that you may have overdosed on this medication.