Generic Naproxen Sodium
Joint and muscle pain can often be relieved by taking naproxen sodium. Generic versions are sold under the name Naproxen Sodium tablets and are available in several different strengths. Now that the patent for the original medication has expired, several drug companies currently manufacture a generic version. These companies include Teva Pharmaceuticals, Sandoz, and Watson Pharmaceuticals.
Naproxen sodium is a medication that has been licensed to treat several conditions. Uses for naproxen sodium include the following:
- Pain relief, such as for pain following a medical procedure, from straining a muscle, or from inflammation in a tendon (tendonitis) or bursa (bursitis).
- Treatment of arthritis symptoms, including pain, stiffness, and swelling. Naproxen can be used to treat several different types of arthritis, including:
The medication does not cure arthritis, however.
- Treatment of painful menstrual periods.
Naproxen sodium was originally developed by Roche Laboratories and sold as Anaprox® and Anaprox® DS. These drugs have since come off-patent, which means generic forms can now be produced.
Generic naproxen sodium is sold under the name Naproxen Sodium tablets. It comes in a number of different strengths, including:
- Naproxen Sodium 220 mg tablets or caplets (available without a prescription)
- Naproxen Sodium 275 mg tablets
- Naproxen Sodium 550 mg tablets.