The recommended dose of Orencia for people who weigh less than 132 pounds is 500 mg. People weighing between 132 and 220 pounds usually start with 750 mg. For those who weigh more than 200 pounds, the recommended dose is 1000 mg. Your dosage will be administered through an IV at your healthcare provider's office or at an infusion center.
The dose of Orencia® (abatacept) your healthcare provider recommends will vary. depending on a number of factors, including:
- Your weight
- Other medications you may be taking
- Other medical conditions you may have.
As is always the case, do not adjust your dose unless your healthcare provider specifically instructs you to do so.
What Is the Dose for Rheumatoid Arthritis?For people weighing less than 132 pounds, the recommended dose is Orencia 500 mg. For those weighing between 132 and 220 pounds, the recommended dose is Orencia 750 mg, and for those who weigh more than 200 pounds, the recommended dose is Orencia 1000 mg. Usually, your second dose will be given two weeks after the first dose, and the third dose will be given a month after the first dose. After that, the recommended dose is given once every four weeks.
Considerations for people taking Orencia include the following:
- Orencia is taken by IV. The first three doses are given every two weeks; after that, they are given once every four weeks.
- You will probably receive your Orencia dose at your healthcare provider's office or at an infusion center. The IV takes about 30 minutes, but the entire process usually lasts a while longer, due to paperwork, waiting, and preparation for the IV.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed. Orencia will not work if you stop taking it.