When treating osteoarthritis of the knee, there are two different dosing options, depending on the strength you are using. Regardless of the strength you use, when applying the solution, make sure your skin is clean; dry; and free of infections, rashes, and cuts. Be sure to wait at least 30 minutes after applying it to swim, take a bath, or shower.
An Introduction to Dosing With PennsaidPennsaid® (diclofenac sodium topical solution) comes in two different strengths, and the dosing information is different for the two strengths. As is always the case, do not adjust your dose unless your healthcare provider specifically tells you to do so.
Pennsaid 1.5% Dosage for Arthritis
The standard recommended dose of Pennsaid 1.5% for osteoarthritis of the knee is 40 drops per affected knee, four times per day. The drops should be applied 10 at a time to help prevent spillage.
General Dosing InformationSome considerations to keep in mind when using Pennsaid include the following:
- Pennsaid is usually applied to the skin two to four times a day, depending on the strength.
- Apply the solution to clean, dry, unbroken skin. The skin should be free of cuts, infections, or rashes.
- Spread the solution around all sides of the knee evenly.
- Wash your hands after applying Pennsaid.
- Wait until the skin is dry before applying lotions, cosmetics, insect repellents, or any other products, or before putting on any clothing over the area.
- Do not shower, bathe, or swim for at least 30 minutes after applying a Pennsaid dose.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be used as prescribed. Pennsaid will not work if you stop using it.
- If you are unsure about anything related to your dosage or Pennsaid dosing in general, please talk with your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist.