Taking an overdose of Pennsaid may cause vomiting, ulcers, high blood pressure, and other problems. For recent overdoses that were taken by mouth, treatment may involve activated charcoal, which limits the body's absorption of the medicine. Supportive care -- such as lowering high blood pressure and treating any other symptoms of the overdose -- will also be provided.
Can You Use Too Much Pennsaid?Pennsaid® (diclofenac sodium topical solution) is a prescription medication approved to treat arthritis of the knee. As with most medications, it is probably possible to take too much Pennsaid. The specific effects of an overdose could be dangerous, but would vary, depending on a number of factors, including the Pennsaid dosage and how it was taken (applied to the skin or taken by mouth).
Effects of an OverdoseNo Pennsaid overdoses have been reported, and no cases of accidental ingestion have been reported, either. Serious effects are probably more likely if the medication is taken by mouth, since only a small percentage is absorbed throughout the body when it is applied to the skin.
Based on information from oral overdoses of other nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs), the following symptoms might occur with an overdose of Pennsaid:
- Nausea and vomiting
- Throat or upper chest pain
- Ulcers or bleeding of the digestive tract
- High blood pressure
- Kidney failure
- Slow or irregular breathing
Treatment for a Pennsaid OverdoseThe treatment for this type of overdose will vary. If the overdose was recent and taken by mouth, activated charcoal may be given to limit absorption of the medication. Treatment will also involve supportive care, which would include treating any of the Pennsaid overdose symptoms that occur, such as high blood pressure.
It is important that you seek medical attention immediately if you think that you or someone else may have overdosed on Pennsaid.