Treatment Info for Piroxicam
When and How Do I Take Piroxicam?Some general considerations for when and how to take the medication include:
- Piroxicam comes in a capsule form. It is taken by mouth.
- Your dosage should be taken with a glass of water. Taking it with milk or food may prevent an upset stomach.
- For osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis, it may take several weeks for piroxicam to begin working to its full potential.
- It is important to take the lowest effective dose for the least amount of time in order to treat your condition. This will decrease the chances of serious side effects occurring.
- Piroxicam should be taken at the same time each day to maintain an even level of the drug in your blood.
- For the medicine to work properly, you have to take it as prescribed. Piroxicam will not work if you take it in a way other than how your healthcare provider prescribes.
DosingThe dosage your healthcare provider recommends will vary depending on a number of factors, including:
- The medical condition being treated
- Other medical conditions you may have
- Other medications you may be currently taking.
As always, do not adjust your piroxicam dose unless your healthcare provider specifically instructs you to do so.
(Click Dosing With Piroxicam for more information about this topic.)