Effects of an overdose with Remicade vary, depending on how much of the medication was taken and whether it was taken with alcohol or other drugs. Because there have been so few reported cases of overdose, the exact effects are not known. Possible treatment options can include administering fluids through an intravenous line or giving other treatments based on complications that occur.
Remicade Overdose: An OverviewRemicade® (infliximab) is a prescription medication that is approved to treat several inflammatory conditions that affect the joints, skin, and digestive system, including:
- Ankylosing spondylitis
- Crohn's disease
- Plaque psoriasis
- Psoriatic arthritis
- Rheumatoid arthritis
- Ulcerative colitis.
The effects of an overdose with Remicade will vary, depending on a number of factors, including how much of the drug was taken and whether it was taken with any other medicines, alcohol, street drugs, or a combination of these.
However, there have been so few cases of people taking too much Remicade that the exact effects of an overdose are not known. In clinical studies conducted before the drug was approved, up to 20 mg per kg (two to four times the usual Remicade dosage) were given. These high doses did not appear to cause any problems.
Treating an Overdose of RemicadeGiven that there have been so few cases, the best treatment for a Remicade overdose is also unknown. Treatment may involve supportive care. This type of care consists of treating the symptoms that occur as a result of the overdose. For example, supportive treatment options may include:
- Fluids through an intravenous line (IV)
- Other treatments based on the complications that occur.
It is important that you seek medical attention immediately if you believe that you may have overdosed on Remicade.