The recommended dosage of Synvisc for treating osteoarthritis of the knee is one 2-mL injection once a week for three weeks (three injections per knee). The pain relief can last up to six months. Some people who have arthritis in both knees choose to have both done at the same time. The dose is given to you by your healthcare provider.
There is only one standard recommended dose of Synvisc® (hylan G-F 20), regardless of the severity of your osteoarthritis symptoms. As is always the case, do not adjust your dosage unless your healthcare provider specifically instructs you to do so.
Synvisc Dosage for Knee OsteoarthritisThe recommended Synvisc dose for treating osteoarthritis of the knee is one 2-mL Synvisc injection (the entire syringe) once a week for three weeks (a total of three injections per knee). If you have arthritis in both knees, you may choose to have them done at the same time or separately.
Although the pain relief can last up to six months, most people experience the most pain relief about 8 to 12 weeks after the treatment starts. Repeat treatments may be beneficial, especially if Synvisc worked well for you the first time, since the effects are not permanent.
Considerations for people taking Synvisc include the following:
- This product comes in the form of a gel-like liquid that is injected directly into the knee joint. Your healthcare provider will administer the injections.
- Your knee will be cleansed, and a local anesthetic will usually be injected with a small needle to help prevent pain. A larger needle will then be inserted directly into the knee joint. Your healthcare provider will "drain" fluid from the joint before switching syringes and injecting Synvisc.
- The draining of the joint and the injection of Synvisc are done with the same needle, so you will need to be "stuck" with a needle only twice (once for the anesthetic and once for the draining and the Synvisc injection).
- The entire procedure is brief and is done in your healthcare provider's office.
- You can resume most of your usual activities, although your healthcare provider may recommend avoiding strenuous activity for a day or two after the injection.
- If you are unsure about anything related to your Synvisc dosage, please talk with your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist.