It is probably possible for a person to take too much Uloric (febuxostat). Although the specific effects are not exactly known, an overdose is likely to cause the usual side effects that are possible with this medication. The effects of an overdose will depend on several factors, such as how much was taken. If you have overdosed on this drug, treatment may include providing supportive care.
Can You Take Too Much Uloric?Uloric® (febuxostat) is a prescription gout medication. It belongs to a group of medications known as xanthine oxidase inhibitors. As with any medication, it is probably possible to take an overdose. The specific effects of an overdose with Uloric can vary, depending on a number of factors, including the Uloric dosage and whether it was taken with any other medications or substances.
Seek immediate medical attention if you or someone else may have overdosed on this medication.
Effects of an Overdose With UloricAt this time, the effects of an overdose with this medication are unknown. No reports of overdoses with this medication were reported in clinical studies. Additionally, no problems were seen in studies that used a very high dosage (300 mg daily, compared to the usual Uloric dosage of 40 mg or 80 mg daily).
Of course, it is reasonable to expect than an overdose could cause any of the usual Uloric side effects.
Treatment OptionsCurrently, it is not known exactly how best to treat a Uloric overdose. Therefore, treatment will likely involve supportive care. This type of care consists of treating the symptoms that occur as a result of the overdose. For example, supportive treatment options for a Uloric overdose may include:
- Fluids through an intravenous line (IV)
- Closely monitoring the heart and lungs
- Other treatments based on the complications that occur.
It is important that you seek medical attention immediately if you believe that you may have taken a Uloric overdose.