Voltaren Gel Dosage
The dosage of Voltaren Gel your healthcare provider prescribes will be based on several factors, such as the area of the body being treated, other medications you are taking, and other medical conditions you may have. This gel is typically applied four times a day and the maximum daily dosage should not exceed 32 grams. Also, the gel should be applied to clean, dry, unbroken skin that is free of cuts, rashes, or infections.
Voltaren Gel Dosage: An IntroductionThe dose of Voltaren® Gel (diclofenac gel) your healthcare provider recommends will vary, depending on a number of factors, including:
- The area of the body being treated
- Other medications you are taking
- Other medical conditions you may have.
As is always the case, do not adjust your dose unless your healthcare provider specifically instructs you to do so.
Voltaren Gel Dosing for ArthritisThe standard recommended Voltaren Gel dosage for treating osteoarthritis of the upper extremity is 2 grams applied to the affected elbow, wrist, or hand four times daily. For the lower extremity, the standard dosage is 4 grams applied to the affected knee, ankle, or foot four times daily.
The total amount (over all areas of the body) should not exceed 32 grams per day.
General Dosage Information for Voltaren GelSome considerations for people taking Voltaren Gel include the following:
- Voltaren Gel is usually applied to the skin four times a day.
- Apply the gel to clean, dry, unbroken skin. The skin should be free of cuts, infections, or rashes.
- Do not apply a bandage or use a heating pad over the area of application.
- Do not use lotions, cosmetics, insect repellants, or any other products on the skin where you apply the gel.
- Voltaren Gel comes with special dosing cards used to help you accurately measure the dose. One card is used for each dose.
- Wash your hands after applying the gel, unless you are treating your hands.
- Wait 10 minutes before putting on any clothing over the area of application.
- Do not shower, bathe, or swim for at least one hour after applying the gel.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be used as prescribed. Voltaren Gel will not work if you stop taking it.
- If you are unsure about anything related to your dosage of Voltaren Gel, please talk with your pharmacist or healthcare provider.