Voltaren Gel Overdose
The effects of an overdose with Voltaren Gel will vary, depending on how much was taken and how it was taken (applied to the skin or taken by mouth). Possible overdose symptoms may include nausea, vomiting, and drowsiness. To date, there have not been any reported cases of an overdose with this product. Treatment may include administering certain medications, pumping the stomach, or providing supportive care.
Can You Use Too Much Voltaren Gel?Voltaren® Gel (diclofenac gel) is a prescription medication approved to treat arthritis. As with most medications, it is probably possible to take too much Voltaren Gel. The specific effects of a Voltaren Gel overdose could potentially be dangerous but would vary, depending on a number of factors, including the Voltaren Gel dosage and how it was taken (applied to the skin or taken by mouth).
Effects of an OverdoseNo cases of an overdose with Voltaren Gel have been reported, and no cases of accidental ingestion have been reported either. Serious effects are probably more likely if the medication is taken by mouth (as only 6 percent is absorbed throughout the body when it is applied to the skin).
Based on information from oral overdoses of other nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs), the following Voltaren Gel overdose symptoms might occur:
- Nausea and vomiting
- Throat or upper chest pain
- Ulcers or bleeding of the digestive tract
- High blood pressure
- Kidney failure
- Slow or irregular breathing
Treatment for a Voltaren Gel OverdoseThe treatment for an overdose will vary. If the Voltaren Gel overdose was recent and taken by mouth, a healthcare provider may administer certain medicines to induce vomiting or place a tube into the stomach to "pump the stomach." Activated charcoal may be given to limit absorption of the medication. Treatment will also involve supportive care, which would include treating any of the overdose symptoms that occur (such as high blood pressure).
It is important that you seek medical attention immediately if you believe that you may have overdosed on Voltaren Gel.