If someone takes large amounts of Xarelto (rivaroxaban), it can cause potentially dangerous bleeding. Seek immediate medical care if you believe you have overdosed on this drug. Symptoms may include vision changes, vomiting blood, or a severe headache. Treatment will likely include administering activated charcoal or providing supportive care to treat any symptoms that occur.
Can I Take Too Much Xarelto?Xarelto® (rivaroxaban) is a prescription anticoagulant medication. As with most medications, it is possible to take too much. As you might expect, given that the medication is an anticoagulant, an overdose with Xarelto increases the risk for dangerous bleeding. Unfortunately, there is no easy way for healthcare providers to counteract the effects of an overdose.
Symptoms of an OverdoseBleeding, including dangerous internal bleeding, is most likely to occur with large Xarelto overdoses. Symptoms that may occur include but are not limited to:
- Cuts or scrapes that are slow to stop bleeding
- Easy bruising
- Black, tarry stools; bright red blood in the stool; or vomiting of blood (signs of gastrointestinal bleeding)
- Signs of bleeding in the brain, such as:
- Vision or speech changes
- Weakness or numbness in an arm or leg
- A severe headache.
In cases of mild overdose, it is possible that no symptoms may occur.
Treatment for a Xarelto Overdose
Unlike with most other anticoagulants, there is no readily available, affordable, and effective antidote for an overdose with Xarelto. Therefore, treatment in many situations will largely be symptomatic and supportive, meaning that it will aim to handle and minimize the complications that occur.
This type of treatment must be individualized for each person, according to the particular situation. If the overdose was recent, administering activated charcoal by mouth may help reduce the absorption of the medication.
It is important that you seek medical attention immediately if you believe that you or someone else may have taken too much of this medication.